Sunday 28 June 2015

Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

I love winter, curling up by the fire, snuggling into blankets and drinking hot chocolate. These cupcakes are the best little celebration of winter in a cup. With a decadent dark chocolate cake and swiss meringue "cream" topped with marshmallows and grated chocolate these beauties remind me of the Sunday morning hot chocolates my mum used to make us.



Mini marshmallows hold a special place in my heart. When I was a kid my mum used to put them in our hot chocolates on special occasions only. On our birthdays she would put the same number of marshmallows as our ages. It got pretty tricky as we got older, it's hard to stuff 20 marshmallows into a standard mug but she did it anyway. It's a tradition I will be sure to share with my own children.


I bought these cute little silicon cups online a while ago and just had to have them. You can find them here


For this recipe you will need:

1 batch of my chocolate cupcakes 
Mini marshmallows
Grated chocolate or cocoa powder


Because the cups are silicon, you do need to sit them on a tray otherwise they could easily fall over. I lined mine with baking paper just in case of any spillage.

Fill the cupcake case with 1 scoop of the mixture, so they're about half filled


Bake at 180 C for about 20 minutes, keep a close eye on them though because they cook a bit quicker than standard cupcakes

Let em cool completely and put the buttercream in a piping bag with a large round tip


Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top


Add a wee handful of mini marshmallows on top


Aaaand finish off with a sprinkle of grated chocolate or cocoa powder


Curl up with a blanket and a cupcake and enjoy :)

Let me know what your favourite winter treat is in the comments below and maybe it'll show up in a future post.


It's a Cakey Kind of Love is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com I will only ever recommend products that I have used and enjoyed. There is no extra cost to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment